Number of players:
First Release Version 1.0
This is a very rare table, only 70 or so were made. So when John Bowes, a proud owner of a prime example of this table contacted me, I jumped at the chance to re-create it , and preserve it for future generations...:)
To top it off the original table artwork was by Christian Marche, one of my favorites, who also did Swinger/Fun Fest for Williams.
John kindly provided me with photos, and most importantly a video, of the table, from which I was able to re-draw the playfield, and accuratly code the behaviour of the table. Also I was able to get the sounds from the video, so the sounds on this table are authentic. His machine did have a problem with the scoreing bells, the 100 pointer was loud and clear, the 10 pointer was weak, and the 1000 sounded just like the 100. So I used my sound editing software to change the pitch on the 100 point bell, to match the weak 10 point bells frequency, and I made another lower freq sample for the 1000 pointer (just guessing at the pitch). So now there are 2 accurate scoring bell sounds, and one which may or may not be accurate.
This table is also unique in that it had a spinner mechanism, down amongst the relays, that had a solinoid that hit a metal spinner, which in turn clocked the bonus numbers around.
Since VP dosnt have any real solinoids, I created an invisable trough, with kickers at both ends, and a spinner in the middle. When a ball lands in either active saucer, a hidden ball is shot through the spinner, and destroyed by the other kicker. The spinner spins the bonus lights. It is pretty close to the action of the real game, but not quite as jittery and random.
I also make extensive use of reel images for animating just about everything. The pop bumpers, the rollover buttons, the mushroom bumpers, and even the extra ball gate.
This table uses 1 big decal on the backglass, for everything, just like my latest CE3K release, so ther shouldnt be any "Black Line" problems.
Also, I stumbled upon a solution to the problem where some of my reel animations would have a line on the right edge. I appears that if the image strip is not of a certain width (pixel/byte wise), you get the line. It appears to be a byte boundry thing. I discovered if I make the strip a even width, like 32,64,128,256,512,1024, then I have no line problems. So, now I use photoshop to set the finished width of each strip to the nearest one of those numbers, and no more lines!
Thanks also to Leo Wanker for pointing out a problem with my masking walls in Close Encounters, which I fixed in this table.
Enjoy Round Up!
requires VP6 or better !